17 drug ring members indicted | Crime
(WXIA) -- A federal grand jury has indicted 17 members of a massive Mexican drug ring.
The defendants are accused of smuggling cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine to Georgia. Prosecutors said they also conspired to deliver a significant amount of drug money to Mexico.
According to information presented in federal court, Atenogenes Alvarado-Delgado runs the trafficking organization. His ring -- which includes his brother, Jose Alvarado-Delgado, and two associates -- used passenger buses to transport drugs from Mexico to the Atlanta area. Others would then unload the drugs and sell them in Georgia and Florida.
Since last October, law enforcement has seized much of the ring's wares in several busts, including:
* Oct. 8, 2013: 39 pounds of methamphetamine during a traffic stop in Doraville
* Oct. 11, 2013: 165 pounds of methamphetamine during a search of an apartment on Cleburne Parkway in Hiram
* Oct. 11, 2013: 178 pounds of cocaine and heroin during a search of an apartment on Cumberland Parkway in Cobb County
* Dec. 7, 2013: $386,000 of drug money from suitcases aboard a Mexico-bound bus in Cuba, Ala.
* Jan. 3, 2014: 132 pounds of methamphetamine during a traffic stop in Austell
* Jan. 3, 2014: 11 pounds of methamphetamine after a meth lab exploded inside an apartment on Jameson Pass in Alpharetta
* Jan. 20, 2014: 26 kilograms of heroin from an Atlanta-bound bus at the U.S.-Mexico border in Laredo, Texas
* Mar. 19, 2014: $277,490 of drug money from a passenger bus in Douglasville
Arrested defendants in this case include:
* Atenogenes Alvarado-Delgado, 35, Powder Springs
* Jose Alvarado-Delgado, 35, Austell
* Reberiano Arroyo-Santana, 36, Atlanta
* Jose Cardenas-Garcia, 48, Kennesaw
* Alejandro Carmona, 63, Arlington (Texas)
* Blanca Hernandez, 41, Alpharetta
* Alan Arnold Lopez, 24, Mableton
* Ranferi Pineda, 24, Norcross
* Yarely Pineda, 22, Smyrna
* Jose Antonio Pineda-Maldanado, 22, Smyrna
* Rufino Pineda-Perez, 48, Lawrenceville
* Rubi Torres-Aguilar, 44, Austell
Law enforcement continues to search for five suspects -- a man known only as "Mocha" and:
* Enrique Arroyo, 38, Atlanta
* Manuel Arroyo-Delgado, 23, Sandy Springs
* Reynaldo Maldonado-Guipes, 56, Cumming
* Miguel Salinas, 22, Lawrenceville