Fulton County senior facilities serve as warming centers | News
FULTON COUNTY, Ga. -- The Fulton County Department of Aging and Youth Services’ senior facilities will serve as warming sites during operating hours to provide seniors and other citizens another alternative for keeping warm during extreme winter weather.
Fulton County has four senior multipurpose facilities that will be open from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Jan. 8 and 9.
The Senior Multipurpose facilities are:
H.J.C. Bowden Senior Multipurpose Facility
2885 Church Street
East Point, 30344
Harriett G. Darnell Senior Multipurpose Facility
677 Fairburn Road NW
Dorothy C. Benson Senior Multipurpose Complex
6500 Vernon Woods Drive
Sandy Springs, 30328
Helene S. Mills Senior Multipurpose Facility
515 John Wesley Dobbs Avenue
Seniors are urged to be ready for the safety and health challenges that can result from extreme winter weather temperatures and conditions.
• Avoid going outside during extreme weather conditions.
• Maintain a two-week supply of medications, both prescription and non-prescription.
• Have contact lenses, extra eyeglasses and batteries for hearing aids ready to go.
• Develop a list of neighbors, friends and relatives who can assist during local weather conditions
Develop communications plan in case landlines are disrupted by having a charged cell phone.
• Identify neighborhood shelters that can accommodate the needs of seniors and the disabled.
For additional winter weather preparedness information, please visit the following websites:
Citizens in need of reasonable accommodations due to a disability including communications in an alternative format should contact the Disability Liaison in the Aging and Youth Department at (404) 613-7944. To obtain Georgia Relay Access, citizens should dial 711.