Our network

Video released of man shooting Alpharetta police officer | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Video released of man shooting Alpharetta police officer

ALPHARETTA, GA (WXIA) -- Newly released video shows the moment when Alpharetta police officer David Freeman barely escaped death.


It was the dashboard camera mounted in Freeman's patrol car that captured suspect Curtis Hicks as he emptied his gun at Freeman, hitting the officer seven times.

Freeman survived. Hicks died in a shootout with police on Georgia 400.

"He was just bent on causing carnage that night, for whatever reason," said Alpharetta police spokesperson George Gordon.

On April 12, 2013, Officer Freeman stopped Hicks for driving with an expired tag. At first, Hicks appeared to cooperate. After Freeman ordered Hicks to stay in his car, Hicks suddenly jumped out and started firing.

In the video, released at the conclusion of a lengthy investigation, shows Hicks fire more than a dozen shots, then climb back into his truck and drive away.

Freeman remained upright. He is seen in the video leaning against his patrol car as he radios for help. He calmly gives a description of the suspect and his vehicle.

Freeman underwent two surgeries and a year of rehabilitation. In a video made by Northpoint Community Church, he talked about the shooting.

"I thought I was shot twice," said Freeman. "When they got me in the ambulance and cut the uniform off, they found more and more and more."

Freeman's wife remembers getting a phone call from her husband right after the shooting.

"He said, 'hey beautiful. I need you to know I've been shot, but I'm okay,'" said Kristie Freeman.

Hicks fled the scene and wrecked on Georgia 400 near Northridge. He was killed in an exchange of gunfire with pursuing police.

Gordon says while investigators aren't sure what made Hicks snap, the 52-year-old had been out of work for a year-and-a-half, and had been living with no water service at his home for two years.


Alpharetta Deals